1. Selection for Saturday league matches will be made by the selection committee.
2. The committee will consist of: Head of Cricket, 1st XI captain and vice-captain, 2nd XI captain and vice-captain, 3rd XI captain and vice-captain.
3. Decisions will be made by the committee and not by any individual. However, where issues cannot be resolved, the final decision will be made by the Head of Cricket.
Mission of each team:
1st XI: to play as high a standard as possible and win the Surrey Championship. Therefore the team result will be the priority and all decisions will be made in search of victory.
2nd XI: to provide support to the 1st XI in allowing individuals to find form and in developing new players. While result is important, the 2nd XI will focus more on individual development so that players are ready to move to 1st XI.
3rd XI: to develop new and younger players; to integrate junior members into senior cricket; to provide support to 2nd and 1st XI. Focus will very much be on developing individuals; however, we seek to be playing as high a level of 3rd team cricket as possible so as to minimise the gap between 3rd and 2nd XI.
4. Decisions will be made primarily for the benefit of the club and success of the 1st XI. After this, the selection committee will seek to look after the needs of its individual playing members.
5. Every attempt will be made by the club to accommodate the desires of individuals. However, players are asked to support the missions of the club and each team and understand that their personal desires may, at times, be secondary to the fulfilment of these missions.
6. The Head of Cricket and team captains will have development plans for all playing members. Players are encouraged to discuss these with their captains and the Head of Cricket.
7. Should players have an issue with selection, in the first instance, they should speak to the captain of the team for whom they are selected. If an issue remains, they should contact the Head of Cricket.
8. Selection meetings will be held on the Monday prior to a Saturday fixture. Where it is impossible to meet, selection will be done via telephone.
9. In accordance with missions, club policy will be to select the strongest 1st XI available, followed by the 2nd XI and 3rd XI. Consideration will be given to: known ability, performances in competitive cricket and at training, conduct, attitude and (in the 2nd and 3rd teams) player development.
10. Non-payment of subs by the end of May will result in non-selection until subs are paid.
11. Late drop-outs will be taken into consideration for future selection.
12. It is the responsibility of the player to inform the Head of Cricket and captains of their availability at least two weeks before selection. It is the individual captains’ responsibility to check availability each week.
13. All teams will be confirmed via email and posted on the website by the Wednesday preceding the Saturday fixture at the very latest. Captains will telephone players to confirm selection.
14. In cases when a player is to move teams from the previous week, the captain or Head of Cricket will telephone the player to give a full explanation for this change.
15. Players have the right to inform the selection committee of their preferences (batting, bowling, position, etc.) but the committee will have the final say.
16. Once selected and informed, a player who refuses to play for the team in which they have been selected, without good reason, may forfeit their rights to future selection.
17. Should a player drop out after selection, the captain of the team should select from the team immediately below in consultation with the Head of Cricket. Except in special circumstances, players should not move from 3rd XI to 1st XI. 3rd XI should select from the pool of reserves and should expect help in finding players.
18. While priority is given to the 1st XI, captains from lower teams can question selection should it lead to am imbalance in their team (e.g. no competent wicket-keeper, insufficient bowling for 50 overs).
19. Should a player become available after selection, he should only be selected should a drop-out occur.